We all know autumn hair loss in inevitable, but what can we do to minimize it and keep our locks looking their best?
Why do we lose hair in autumn?
Just as animals moult and trees lose their leaves, so we humans shed hair in autumn. It’s part of our mammal heritage. Fortunately, we don’t really lose hair. Rather, it's gradually replaced by follicular renewal — as one hair falls out another grows in its place.
For every 100 hairs on our heads, 12–15 are always in the process of being renewed, meaning it takes about four years to completely replace our hair.
So, although there’s no need to worry, it’s still worth keeping an eye on. And we’re here to explain how the hair cycle works!
The capillary cycle
The capillary cycle's phases are driven by factors like climate, diet, genetics, pathologies or changes in our bodies. Each hair goes through the following phases:
- Fase de Growth or anagen phase: This lasts 2–8 years for healthy follicles, the longevity of which determines the hair's length.
- Fase de Transition or catagen phase: This lasts 3 weeks, during which the hair stops growing and the follicle changes shape ready for shedding.
- Fase de Resting or telogen phase: This lasts 2–3 months, during which the follicle rests and the hair begins to fall out. At the end of this stage, a new growth phase begins.
In autumn, our hair enters the third phase, meaning it starts to fall out as renewal begins. To give you an idea of the amount of hair we shed at this time of year, while around 150 hairs are usually renewed every day, in autumn that number increases to as many as 300. We recommend keeping a close eye on it to see whether it’s part of the usual process or whether we’re losing hair density.
The best option for this season is to use specialist hair-loss products like our ENERGIKUM CAÍDA TEMPORAL treatment from our Capilo line comprising three products designed to lessen autumn’s impact.
- CAPILO ENERGIKUM N.03: Shampoo that treats temporary hair loss. Its thermal spring water and stem cell activator act synergistically to slow hair loss while toning and regenerating capillary structure.
- CAPILO ENERGIKUM N.21: Concentrated capillary peel that stimulates hair growth. Usage: Apply it directly to your scalp while your hair is still damp. Leave it to act for 5 minutes then perform a gentle circular massage with your fingertips.
- CAPILO AQUA-INFUSION ENERGIKUM N.32: Energizing anti-hair loss lotion. Usage: Wash and towel-dry your hair then apply a full mini dose directly to your scalp, using a circular motion to gently massage the product in with your fingertips.
How do I know if my hair loss is serious?
Don’t worry if you seem to lose a lot of hair in autumn. As we’ve already mentioned, it’s the time of year when our hair renews itself and, depending on how much hair you have, you can easily lose more than 300 hairs a day.
The first thing to do is pay attention to how long the heaviest hair loss lasts. If it continues for more than four months, start taking more care of your locks.
And if you start losing hair density, consult a specialist straight away. For example, your scalp might become more visible or, if you have long hair, your ponytail may not be as thick as it used to be.
Autumn shedding is unavoidable, but salon haircare products can really help to keep your hair looking its best at this time of year.
E-LINE HL ANTI-HAIR LOSS PROMOTION PACK containing:
- E-LINE HL SHAMPOO: A shampoo that tones your scalp and delivers nutrients that boost hair growth and slow hair loss.
- E-LINE HL LOTION: Highly effective hair loss treatment that stimulates scalp circulation to increase blood flow to the hair follicles.
- I LOVE MY HAIR TRAVEL BAG: Gift travel bag